I’ve been in Africa just a few weeks now, but have already heard the testimonies of several priests that have really challenged and inspired me. I’ve already shared the story of Fr. Victor, who was ordained under the trees in the forest for fear of an air raid that could endanger those who attended. While I was in Nairobi I also caught up with Fr. Santino, a priest of the Diocese of Torit who was in Kenya on business related to the FM Catholic radio station he’s trying to get off the ground in Sudan. I commented that he seemed to have lost weight since the last time I saw him, and he responded by telling me that he had just recently recovered from a double case of malaria and typhoid that had really taken a toll on him. He also mentioned in an off hand kind of way that he had recently driven from Lokichoggio in Kenya to Torit, Sudan across the border alone. When I asked whether he had had a police escort, he shook his head and replied: “We risk our lives everyday.”
Just this morning I was speaking with Fr. Egidio, pastor in Ikotos. I was sharing a little about the life of the Church in Central America, which bears many similarities to the experience in Africa. He, too, happened to comment in a very matter of fact way that when his car had broken down he had had to walk 30-40 kilometers on foot on several occasions either to make it back to the parish, or else to reach one of the outlying communities. “How lovely on the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news,” (Is 52:7).
But clearly the most moving example is that of Fr. Lino, who died just this afternoon. He was only in his mid-40s, a priest just 11 years, pastor of the parish in Chukudum. I had met him briefly during my visit to the diocese in June. When we got the news, Fr. Joseph, the vicar general, explained that when Fr. Lino was a young priest serving in Khartoum during the war he was imprisoned with another young priest under false charges, and was beaten and tortured. The other priest is currently in Germany receiving treatment for the injuries he received. Apparently Fr. Lino’s health was so badly damaged by this experience that his body just eventually gave out. In other words, he died as a result of injuries he received from being tortured for being a Catholic priest. That makes him a martyr.
Early tomorrow morning I will be traveling with a group of other priests to the funeral in Chukudum. It’s a rough ride of about five hours, and we’ll be spending the night there. Since it’s a poor, remote area, we’ll have to bring our own food and bedding. It’s an incredible privilege to be able to participate in the funeral of a brother priest whom I had the chance to meet who bore the supreme witness of offering his life for Christ. May he rest in the heart of Christ, and may the Lord grant him the reward of the labors and suffering he endured for love of Him. Fr. Lino, pray for us!
No comments:
Post a Comment