Thursday, November 20, 2008

My New Wheels!


I've been waiting for a few weeks now for a motorcycle that belongs to the diocese to be repaired for my use. The mechanic has been waiting for a replacement part coming from Kampala, Uganda. I saw him today, and he said the part finally arrived, and that the cycle should be ready by Saturday. In the meantime, Fr. Ben - Bishop Akio's secretary, loaned me the bicycle he received as an ordination present last year. It cuts my travel time back and forth into town to a third of what it would be walking. People used to smile and greet me when they saw me walking into town and when I would greet them in the local pidgin Arabic. Now when they see me they have wide grins and give me thumbs up! It's nice to know that I'm providing some entertainment on the local scene, and bringing a little humor into people's lives.

The vehicle I'm really hoping to ultimately get, however, can be seen in the background: a Toyota 4 wheel drive Land Cruiser hardtop. They have very powerful engines, can seat a dozen people, and come equipped with a double gas tank and an electronic winch for pulling the vehicle out of mud or water. I've experienced first hand how necessary these features are for the South Sudanese terrain. It would be a tremendous asset in helping my apostolic ministry here. We'll see what the Lord provides in 2009!

No comments: