Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Lord of the Rings in Kisumu

On my way to the US for mission-related preaching and a visit with the friars and my family I sheduled two brief stops. The first is in Kisumu, in western Kenya on the shores of Lake Victoria. I was there most recently in May with the visiting mission team when we led a YOUTH 2OOO type Eucharistic UZIMA! retreat for the students of Our Lady of Grace boarding school for disadvantaged youth. I returned to Our Lady of Grace on July 27 to do a several day formation program based on The Lord of the Rings films.


The films, of course, are based on the books by J.R.R. Tolkien, who was a very devout Catholic and a daily communicant. The books are permeated with Christian imagery and examples of heroic virtue.


In the mornings all of the secondary students (pictured above with a scene from the first film showing the nine members of the fellowship which sets out to destroy the one evil ring forged by the dark lord) gathered to watch the films, and in the afternoon I met with the young men (pictured below with a shot of the city of Minas Tirith from the third film) to take a closer look at scenes which contained Christian symbolism and examples of virtue. I compiled a handout with quotes from Scripture and the Catechism of the Catholic Church to aid our discussions. The goal was to foster the Christian character formation of these young people, and encourage them to pursue a truly noble and heroic life of virtue in which they fulfill God's purpose and mission for their lives. The program went very well, and I think had a very positive impact especially on the young men.


While in Kisumu, I had the chance once again to visit with and celebrate Mass for my good friends, the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne at St. Catherine's Home. Their convent and hospice are located adjacent to the residence of the Dominican Friars, where I stayed. Their apostolate is to care for patients in the final stages of cancer, and they way they carry it out is both inspires and generates peace. Below are photos of the hospice, the statue of its patroness, and the sisters visiting with and caring for their patients.





3 comments:

E. B. said...

The boys from the Granja still remember when you did the LOTR study with them - Josue' was talking about it enthusiastically last time we were on mission together! It does seem to have really impacted them.

Kathy said...

I can't wait to see you on Sunday Night Live with Fr. Benedict Groeschel this Sunday (EWTN at 7:00 p.m. on the east coast.) It will be nice to see you and hear you talking about your service in Sudan. I hope everyone can tune in.

Lisa said...

Hello Father,
Just saw you on EWTN with Father Benedict. Thank you for your work with these wonderful people. They put us American Catholics to shame with their faith and trust in God.