Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Witnesses of Faith
God manifests His presence in our lives continually if we are alert and attentive enough to perceive Him. Sometimes it’s easier than others, though. Like the other day when I was filling up the Mary Mobile at a local fuel station. There was a very normal looking twenty-year old young man seated in the shade of the above ground tank pouring over a small paperback book. When I asked him what it was, he showed me the cover and explained that it was the Gospel of John in the Lotuko language. At that point I noticed that he was also wearing a rosary ring. “And what passage were you reading?” I asked. “The part where it talks about Jesus being the Light of the World.” I could only express my enthusiastic approval with nods and a smile. There is certainly a lot of hope for a country where young men read the Gospel at fuel stations.
How many other times do these witnesses of faith walk across my path each day, if I’m not too self absorbed to notice them? People making devout visits to the Blessed Sacrament, recognizing me and calling me “Abuna” (“Father”) or even “Jesus!” (because of my habit). Or the little boy at Mass the other day who during the Our Father raised his hands and looked straight up to heaven. There’s no lack of witnesses, only a lack of attention on my part.
To donate online, please CLICK HERE.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
GREAT stories, Father! Sometimes I tend to forget the tendency towards the divine which can be seen in people who have far less distractions that we do in the west. I don't think I have nor ever will find someone reading the gospel at a gas station. Although I have found a few "Chick Tracts" there...
Post a Comment