Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Referendum Begins!

There was something different, something special in the air this morning: a cool freshness, a subdued sense of excitement, and an almost palpable sense of grace. I think it was a combination of the human response to perhaps the most momentous day in the history of South Sudan and the presence of Christ accompanying the South Sudanese.

The polling station in front of Mercy House.

I had Mass this morning in Katire, and we left a little earlier than usual to try to begin Mass a little earlier than usual because of referendum voting. As soon as we rounded the corner onto the main street in Torit in front of Mercy House, I felt a jolt of excitement as I saw the line of voters who had turned out early to vote. Totally spontaneously I cheered out the window and they cheered back and waved. It was overwhelming to see the South Sudanese finally be able to do what they've waited decades, shed blood and sacrificed lives to do: determine their own future. I was overwhelmed by the incredible sense of dignity with which men and women, old and young alike lining up to take responsibility for and become protagonists in the history of their country.

The flowers blooming near Fr. Saturnino Ohure's tomb.

As we continued down the road, I was surprised to see how fully in bloom the boganvilla flowers were in front of the tomb of Fr. Saturnino Ohure (an early leader in the struggle for the independence of the South, killed in 1967 for his resistance to oppression from the north) - much more vivid and flourishing than I remember seeing them recently. I couldn't help but think how happy he must be to see and how much he must be praying for - even from heaven - what he laid down his life for finally coming to pass. It was almost as though his enthusiasm was bursting through the blossoms.

The memorial to the soldiers killed after the 1955 Torit uprising (above and below).

Further along we passed the site where the South Sudanese soldiers who had rebelled against their oppressive northern Arab commanders in Torit in 1955 were executed and buried after being promised amnesty in return for surrender. It was the site of a rally earlier this week when SPLM chairman Pagan Amun visited Torit. We stopped and prayed for a few moments, knowing that they, too, were praying and pulling for the south.

Polling stations along the route to Katire (above and below).

We cheered and waved at all of the polling stations we passed on the way to Katire, our hearts swelling with enthusiasm.

The Katire polling station.

At Mass I tried to connect the Baptism of Jesus (today's feast), the moment when He identified Himself with us sinners ("grasped [us] by the hand" - Is 42:6, first reading) to make things right between us and God; our Baptism, when we take hold of Jesus' hand and are called to work with Him to make things right in the world; and the referendum, which now calls the South Sudanese to work hard for a hope-filled future for their soon-to-be new country. Just as a new born baby needs to be reborn through Baptism, so the new-born South Sudan needs to be "baptized" by faith and evangelization in order to be a truly Christian country.

Please continue to pray throughout this week that what has begun with such an overwhelming sense of promise will continue peacefully to its fulfillment.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Got your email regarding the conclusion of the CFR Mission to Sudan. I am sorry it had to end prematurely and I am hopeful aid continues to reach those in need.