Friday, July 9, 2010

Rosary Chain Reaction

At our regular youth group faith formation meeting on Wednesday of last week I shared with the young people about the donation of rosary making materials (beads, crucifixes, connectors, cord) that were sent by my cousin Won San in Korea in memory of her recently deceased teacher Dae An Sunim. I then showed the youth how to assemble a rosary, and each of them made one. We then gave to all of the young people present a packet with enough materials to make five or so rosaries. We decided that after making a rosary, the young person should first pray it, then give it to another person as a gift with the request that the recipient use the rosary to pray for Sudan as it approaches the critical moment of the referendum on the independence of the South in January 2011.

I wasn't exactly sure what the outcome would be, but two days later when I saw some of the group members they had already made and distributed several, and said that those who received them expressed a very positive response. More rosary making supplies were distributed this week as well. Our hope is to create a chain reaction of prayer and a ground-swell of grace to surround this historic and decisive moment.

I would have liked to take a photo to show you, but I was too busy helping the youth make their rosaries!

To donate online, please CLICK HERE.

2 comments:

Qualis Rex said...

I LOVE the title! You are one quick-witted 'ciscan : ) Father, can I kindly request you ask one of the youth to send me a rosary as well??? Actually, if it weren't too much to ask, I'd request 2; one that I would keep and another that I would pass along with your instructions. You should have my mailing address info from the last donation, but let me know via email if you need it.

FYI, my aunt, a Notre Dame nun, used to make rosaries from olive pits (they make GREAT beads, just poke a hole through) and twine to knot them in place. My guess is if you put it to your group to brainstorm, they'll come up with a "local" solution using local materials (maybe wood + goat-hide?) that you can then even sell online for donations!

Considering all the work and effort you put into this already, you certainly get a pass for not including pictures this time around : )

Laura Berry said...

So cool! :-)

http://workingcatholics.wordpress.com/