One of the places I frequent when I visit family, friends and benefactors in my home town of Saint Marys, Pennsylvania, is our parish church, Sacred Heart. My parents both worked on the committee for its restoration for the Jubilee Year 2000. It is one of the most beautiful and prayerful churches I know.
The theme of the Sacred Heart of Jesus runs throughout the church, including images of Christ's Heart on both the main altar and the tabernacle behind it. Above the altar hangs a beautiful, hand-carved "rood" or crucifix.
The Church has many vivid stained glass windows depicting different scenes from Sacred Scripture, the seven Sacraments and certain saints. One that is particularly special to me, however, is the one shown below, portraying Jesus giving the keys of the Kingdom to Peter (cf. Matthew 16). It's special because it was donated to the parish many years ago by my great, great grandfather, Peter Straub, when the church was being constructed. His name appears in the corner of the window.
2 comments:
Hello Fr. Herald -
I was blessed to be at Blessed Sacrament Friary in Newark last week and listen to your presentation on the plight of the good people of Sudan. God bless you - you are amazing. The Lord is working wonders through you.
I will keep you in my prayers.
Give the Benedictines some love Father H., lol!!!
Post a Comment