Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Move into Town and Mercy House on the Move

The Bishop's house in downtown Torit

Last Friday, May 8th, I moved from the administrative compound on the outskirts of Torit, where I had lived since my arrival last September, to the bishop’s compound downtown. Although the situation is a little more primitive here in terms of electricity (we were without power two nights this week), food and bathroom facilities, I am extremely grateful to be in a house with a chapel with the presence of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. Although I had been going into town every day to make a Holy Hour, at first in the parish church sacristy and later in the bishop’s chapel, being closer to Jesus in this way has made a big difference for me. I’m also closer to the location of most of my apostolic activities and the construction taking place at Mercy House.


The property behind the Bishop's house


The dining room, with the entrance to the chapel in the rear


The chapel, where the body of Fr. Saturnino Ohure is temporarily being kept


My room (above), complete with mosquito "tent" (below)


The new perimeter wall of the Mercy House property is almost complete. After that the next step will be to repair the roof of the small residence in the rear. Despite the fact that this has been a time of economic hardship for so many, the Lord has continued to provide the necessary financial support, in the amount and at the time it is needed, to continue pushing ahead with this project. My heartfelt thanks go out to all of your who have encouraged and helped support this effort through your offerings, prayers and words of support. We have already begun to use the storefront space of Mercy House for meetings with the youth leadership team and other youth activities. Ugandan lay missionary Dennis Kiyimba used his electrical skills to reconnect lights along the outside passage, and install an electrical outlet and lighting fixtures inside. Last Sunday evening we showed the second half of a video on the life of Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta to about 25 young people. The center’s corner location right on the main street attracted the curiosity of a number of passersby, some of who entered and joined us for the viewing.


Mercy House has lights and power, thanks to Dennis (below right) and the generator!


Next Monday I travel to Nairobi to welcome the visiting team of four CFR friars and three lay missionaries. Some of the public evangelization events we have planned will take place right at Mercy House. We’ve done a lot of preparation on this end, but Africa is a place of unexpected and uncontrollable “variables,” so I ask for your prayers that all goes well and according to the Lord’s plan for this visit. I will try to post a schedule of events for the mission visit before I leave, and some photos and entries during their visit if possible.

1 comment:

Brother Charles said...

Thanks as always, Father, for making our prayer for your ministry concrete with updates and pictures. Pax et bonum.