The wedding took place in the colonial city of Comayagua, where both the friars and Missioners of Christ are established. Comayagua, once the capital of Honduras, boasts of five colonial churches, the most prominent of which is the cathedral, which dates to the 1700s, and which dominates the plaza in the center of town.
The reredos in the sanctuary is overwhelming. Almost the entire structure is gold-plated, with statues embedded in niches at different levels. When illuminated it's almost blinding and gives the impression of the saints enfolded in the glory of heaven.
The cathedral houses the oldest functioning clock in the western hemisphere. The clock was built by Moorish craftsmen in the 1100s and given as a gift to the city by Philip II in the 1500s. It is propelled by a complex system of weights, cables and gears.
The cathedral also has an impressive tower with bells that ring every quarter hour, as well as one for Mass and another that is only sounded on the city’s patronal feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8.
From the tower there is an amazing view of the rest of the building and the surrounding city.
| The courtyard to the left of the main nave. |
| The facade of the cathedral. |
| The fountain in the center of the main plaza. |
| The palacio municipal which houses Comayagua's city government offices. |
| The view to the southeast of the central plaza. |
| An archway leading to the fountain at the center of the plaza. |
To donate online, please CLICK HERE.
1 comment:
Hello Father Herald! I'm glad to see you are enjoying your world tour! You know, sometimes I really get into euphoric fits when I think of how amazing God is, specifically with regard to His designs for humanity. Who would have thought that a blog dedicated to your mission in Sudan would have a link to Comayagua, Honduras. While I have traveled extensively throughout Latin America, I have never been to Honduras or Comayagua. Yet here you are, bringing these incredible pictures and giving us a glimpse of a place we will most likely never see.
I pray for your safe and restful journey and a long and happy life for the newlyweds.
Post a Comment