Friday, August 20, 2010

In the Sky with Pope John Paul II

OK, not exactly with Pope John Paul II in person - let me explain.

"His Holiness John Paul II traveled in this airplane on his historic visit
to Canada, Guatemala and Mexico. July 2002."

My journey from Honduras back to the US took me through El Salvador and Guatemala. When I boarded the plane for the flight from San Salvador to Guatemala City I was very moved to see the plaque above. It was the same aircraft on which JPII flew in 2002! And since for some strange reason I ended up being given a seat in business class, I must have been really close to the seat he occupied! A pretty amazing coincidence, huh?

What makes it even more amazing is that I was in Guatemala for the pope's visit in 2002. Several of us traveled from Honduras to participate, and I had the privilege of concelebrating (for the last time) with John Paul II  as he presided at the canonization Mass of Santo Hermano Pedro. I took the photo below as the pope was leaving at the end of the celebration.


Not only that, but there were friars from the Honduras mission also present in Canada for World Youth Day accompanying some Honduran youth we had sponsored for that event, and in Mexico City for the canonization of St. Juan Diego.

Seeing that plaque as I was departing was like a final smile from God upon a really wonderful visit - and that made me smile, too!

I'm  now back in the US, and will be doing mission preaching for the Diocese of Torit at Our Lady of Victories Parish in Harrington Park, NJ on Saturday and Sunday.

To donate online, please CLICK HERE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excelente conclusión de su misión aquí en Centro America, fu realmente un gustazo de volverlo a tener aquí por estas tierras.

Etel