Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Little Bit of Heaven, and New Jersey, in Katire

The altar in the chapel under the trees in Katire.

Last Sunday was my third visit to Katire and the first time I presided at Holy Mass. Katire is a small village where local legend says the Garden of Eden was situated. It is such a beautiful place, how could I argue. I guess I’ll leave that to biblical archaeologists.

Fr. Sylvester explaining the story of the Ten Lepers healed by Jesus,
with the help of John, the local catechist and translator.

The biggest adventure of the day was my attempt to use some of the local Lotuko language, at least I believe that’s what it was. I may have butchered it so badly that it was unrecognizable to the good people of Katire, but they would be too gracious to tell me and certainly appreciated my trying.

The congregation in Katire.

So there I was in the “Garden of Eden” when a young boy strolls right to the front of the open-air chapel proudly wearing his “Made in New Jersey” T-shirt. His companion was wearing another shirt advertising the Ringwood, NJ Lacrosse team. I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was totally cute!

Fr. Sylvester and friend.

What struck me, though, is that from the Garden State to the Garden of Eden, despite varied languages and different skin colors that there is a common humanity that unites us all. The Sudanese identify strongly with their villages, their tribes, their homes. Wherever one goes in life, he or she never really leaves these elements which are key components to one’s self-identity behind.

It got me thinking about this: that we are all citizens of heaven; yes, heaven is our common home. Our Christian vocation is to bring a little bit of heaven to wherever we go while we remain pilgrims in this strange land we call earth. In essence, a little plot of the Garden of Eden, so to speak, should be found wherever you are and can be experienced wherever the Christian life is faithfully lived, even in New Jersey!

To donate online, please CLICK HERE.

1 comment:

Joa's Arc said...

God Bless You Father Sylvester and all the others. I pray for you daily. The Sudanese are truly blessed to have you.
Joyce Moyer