Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Catching Up

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to post any entries for the last few weeks. I was in Kenya from mid-December through early January, and then accompanied Monsignor Richard Tofani of the Missions Office of the Diocese of Trenton on a tour of the Diocese of Torit, from which I just returned on Monday. My time in Kenya went very well. I spent Christmas with the Priestly Fraternity of St. Charles Borromeo, a society of apostolic life affiliated with the Church movement Communion and Liberation, and afterwards visited the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne at their hospice for cancer patients in Kisumu.


While in Kisumu I was able to visit the equator. While I admit that it didn't really feel any different physically than being in another place, it was kind of cool to know that I was standing at the exact middle of the earth as it revolves on its axis.


And when returning to Sudan with Monsignor Tofani I was finally able to get a shot of the immigration and customs station at the border. Yes, it's really as desolate and lonely as it looks! Quite a difference from the many immigration counters at JFK Airport in New York! After this station comes about 30 km of "no man's land," through which we usually have a Kenyan military escort (because of the danger of bandits), and then the Sudanese border.

In coming days I hope to post some photos and commentary of some of the new locations in the diocese that I was able to visit with Monsignor Tofani.

No comments: