Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Lowoi

The Catholic Community in the village of Lowoi has a painful history connected with both civil wars in the history of Sudan’s independence. The parish was established by the Comboni missionaries in 1947, but shortly after the missionaries were expelled in 1963 the church was badly damaged and remained unrepaired for about two decades. It was finally restored and able to be used again, but only for a few years until the SPLA established a presence there. The southern army removed the sheet metal roofing of the church and other parish buildings to prevent them from becoming an easy target for northern air raids. Since they were isolated and cut off from supplies, the SPLA also used the metal framework that supported the church roof to melt down and recast as plates, cups and other necessary items. The church has remained in that denuded condition until the present day.




Although the church once housed a beautiful sanctuary, tabernacle and side altars to Our Lady and St. Joseph, the community there does not now possess a single religious image – except that of the crucifix emblazoned in bas relief on the bell, which somehow miraculously escaped the destruction of the two war epochs.


They are also seriously in need of catechetical and other resources. Despite their trials, the faith of the community, which has produced a number of priestly vocations over the years, continues to remain strong. In addition to the miraculous preservation of their bell, God has given another sign of His approval of their faith and perseverance: a tree has sprouted and grown in the sanctuary of the church giving some shade to those who still gather to pray there.


Bishop Akio Johnson celebrated Mass there on Christmas Day and since has taken a step toward restoring a resident priest by repairing of the roof of the rectory using the local materials of bamboo and grass thatching.

No comments: