Have you ever wondered how you appear to other people? I got a surprise answer to that question right after yesterday's Mass when we entered the provisional sacristy to unvest and found this "portrait" drawn on the wall. Apparently not all of the children present were paying close attention during the Liturgy! It's not a bad likeness. From the rendering of my name, though, you will understand why I take pains to enunciate it very clearly when introducing myself. Some Africans have a hard time distinguishing and pronouncing "l's" and "r's." So I usually make a special plea that they call me "Fr. H-e-r-a-l-d" and not "Fr. Herod," like the king who beheaded John the Baptist. Apparently the artist never heard that shtick, but he was willing to identify himself and pose beside his work.
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Sts. Peter & Paul: Patrons of the Diocese of Torit
Yesterday, the Diocese of Torit marked its patronal feast: the Solemnity of the Apostles Peter and Paul. Bishop Akio Johnson Mutek, accompanied by two transitional deacons and about 15 priests, celebrated Mass at 4:30 pm at the site of last year's silver jubilee celebration near the Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul. Although the cathedral was badly damaged during the war and is currently unusable, the bishop pointed out that it remains a symbol of the unconquerable faith of the Church. In his homily Bishop Akio also noted three other significant "moments" that were taking place that day: the end of the Year of St. Paul, one of the diocese's co-patrons, the beginning of the Year for Priests, which officially started on June 19, and the proximate beginning of broadcasting for Radio Emmanuel, the official station of the diocese. As the sun was setting behind the ruins of the cathedral, two royal palms were planted in front of a building that is being restored for use by the diocese in honor of its patrons Peter and Paul





Have you ever wondered how you appear to other people? I got a surprise answer to that question right after yesterday's Mass when we entered the provisional sacristy to unvest and found this "portrait" drawn on the wall. Apparently not all of the children present were paying close attention during the Liturgy! It's not a bad likeness. From the rendering of my name, though, you will understand why I take pains to enunciate it very clearly when introducing myself. Some Africans have a hard time distinguishing and pronouncing "l's" and "r's." So I usually make a special plea that they call me "Fr. H-e-r-a-l-d" and not "Fr. Herod," like the king who beheaded John the Baptist. Apparently the artist never heard that shtick, but he was willing to identify himself and pose beside his work.



Have you ever wondered how you appear to other people? I got a surprise answer to that question right after yesterday's Mass when we entered the provisional sacristy to unvest and found this "portrait" drawn on the wall. Apparently not all of the children present were paying close attention during the Liturgy! It's not a bad likeness. From the rendering of my name, though, you will understand why I take pains to enunciate it very clearly when introducing myself. Some Africans have a hard time distinguishing and pronouncing "l's" and "r's." So I usually make a special plea that they call me "Fr. H-e-r-a-l-d" and not "Fr. Herod," like the king who beheaded John the Baptist. Apparently the artist never heard that shtick, but he was willing to identify himself and pose beside his work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thats wonderful! I love the drawing!
Post a Comment