Friday, June 18, 2010

Bugged!


The Saturday before Corpus Christi Sunday, while the mission team was still here, I was asked to record the homily for that feast for Radio Emmanuel, the local Catholic station. As it turned out I was also to be the main celebrant for the English Mass that Sunday, too, and it seemed to fit in with our evangelization efforts for that weekend as well. So, even though the scheduling was a bit tight I decided to do it. While waking near the fence of the radio compound I felt on my face what seemed in strength and thickness to be something like fishing line. I realized it must have been the web of a large spider, and when I looked around I saw this huge (the torso is 2-3") black and yellow striped spider having what looked like a shell on its outer body. When I brought Fr. Santino a little later to show him, the spider was making a meal of an unfortunate butterfly. Can anyone help identify the species?



A few days later when I was doing some washing in my room at the bishop's house, I went to turn on the spigot and there was another visitor perched on the hose. A little longer than the spider, but not nearly as intimidating.


To donate online, please CLICK HERE.

No comments: